Saturday, July 26, 2008

Worlds: 6 days to go

What are players doing the week before worlds?

Some people are just chilling. They have done all their disc and fitness training and there is not much else to do, other than some jogging to maintain shape and allow the body rest.

Some people are already in Canada doing a bit of tourism checking out Vancouver and British Columbia.

Some teams have gone to Canada one week or more ahead of time to train, bond, and perhaps attend a preparation tournament. I know that the New Zeland players (both open and women) are doing just that. What sets them apart is that very few of them have played together before. The one week before worlds is all the training thay are going to get as a team.

As for me, I am going to push with fitness and disc work up to the last minute.

Fitness: This year I started the serious fitness work a bit late and I am going to use all the time I have. Tuesday will be my last full-intensity training day. Only five days before my first game, which is less than for most people, who probably have been in chill-and-don't-get-injured mode for one or more weeks. Incidentally, unless the schedule changes again, Italy's first game will be on Sunday the 3rd against Canada. Tough.

Disc: Again, I am going to work on throws up to the end. Even at the airport, if I find someone to throw with. I have been training with my club team, playing summer league, goaltimate, whatever I can find.

Update: The schedule has changed. On Sunday we'll play against USA and later in the day against Sweden. Still very tough.

Update No. 2: The schedule has changed again.

No comments: